Saturday, July 05, 2008

Magazines for Foreigners

Whether you are a tourist or resident in Korea there are a few monthly publications that you might enjoy. All of these are available free at various expat-friendly locations in Seoul-- I can't speak for other cities. Contact them for details. I'll indicate specific locations I know of below. All of them you can arrange to have sent to you on their sites.

Rokon Magazine is a good source for music reviews and event info, it started out as a source for indie music and the art scene but sadly, has been leaning more to the mainstream lately-- still worth a look though. I pick mine up at Club Ta and Cafe Yri in Hongdae.

Groove Magazine is also entertainment-centered but packed with other articles of local interest. I've seen this magazine most recently at Dos Tacos in Hongdae.

Eloquence (website?) reviews high-end restaurants, wine bars, etc. but I think it's accessible to any reader. It has a good list of monthly events including theater, museum, and gallery events. It also has a facebook group. I usually pick it up at Shim's Tapas in Hongdae.

Seoul is the magazine produced by the Korean government. Hit the link for subscription info and locations. I love this particular magazine as it has great articles on Korean culture and an extensive monthly even calendar. In the first few days of every month I would go to the tourist information booth in Insadong and ask for a copy. Occasionally you will get someone at the information office who acts like they have no idea what you are talking about. Just say Seoul Magazine repeatedly-- eventually it clicks and they say "Oh, yeah" and hand it to you, sometimes you can see it siting there so you can point to it.

alright-- those are my favs, enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
MacKensie's Korea Blog by MacKensie Cornelius is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.